Saturday, January 19, 2008

Update On The Book

I am waiting for another proof book to come through the mail. It will probably be next week by the time I get it. Then I shall go through it one . . . more . . . time for mistakes, realizing that I will catch some more, but will most likely miss some. An author attempting to edit their own work is not the best way to go, because subconsciously, the fact that we wrote the darn thing makes us immune to mistakes we might have made, at least all of them. We can read the same sentence over twenty times and overlook something that an uninterested party can spot on the first read. Still, it must be this way because I can't afford to hire an editor. Still, I feel that this book will be more error-free than any of the past ones, and I think that is because of the very personal nature of it.

Anyway, after I read the book again, looking for said mistakes, I will be ready to put it on the market. In the past I have given quite a few books away in the initial publishing, but I can't afford to do that anymore. I plan to give only five books away when I get it ready. Three of them will go to my children, one to my grandson to read whenever his mother decided he is ready for it, if ever, that is up to her, and the last one will be sent to Marionette, my first wife and mother of Candence. I only wish there was a way to send Patricia and Nick's mother a copy, but I am very saddened to say that she passed away a few years ago.

This has been a very difficult book to write. I am not seeking sympathy, which is merely a fact. I have had to confront – in print – my weaknesses as a human being and some of the things I did for a period of twenty to thirty years was not very nice. The book concentrates on my negative side, because for a huge chunk of my life I lived in a negative world. Yes, the reader might surmise, as they read this book, that I was down on myself as I wrote it, but the truth is truth and truth cannot be compromised if you are, in fact, seeking truth. Anything else would be insulting to the memory of those days.

To all of you who read my blog and commenting so wonderfully, I want to once again, thank you. For those of you who will buy this book I thank you again, and I hope, after reading it you can still have a measure of respect for me. Not respect for some of the things I have done in my life, but for the man who wrote the book, the man who absolutely would go back and change some things in my life if I could. Well, I can't change anything, I can only give Candence, Patricia and Nick my words . . . Such as they are.

No comments: