Monday, January 14, 2008

Misdemeanors & Felonies


Misdemeanors & Felonies,
Memories I'm writing about me.
And those in my life I have met,
Some of who I owe a great debt.

A tell-all book I'm pleased to say,
I shoot from the hip anyway.
Not coloring myself to them,
And those I've loved I'll not condemn.

But if there's one or two or more,
Who needs rebuke, listen to me roar.
I'm taking the high road for some,
Others I don’t care; they are bums.

My life is hard to write about,
I've not always been a boy scout.
Those who have read my poems know me,
Better than most I will agree.

For years I've written of sorrow,
Knocking on doors I needed to know.
A life not perfect by no means,
The things I've done, some think obscene.

I grew and I hated my part,
For the anguish I did impart.
I dreamed of maybe making amends,
I would give my life for this end.

August 15th, this year, so dear,
What happened to me made me CHEER!
Patricia my daughter wrote to me,
From a poets site, Authors Den.

Thirty-eight years since I'd seen her,
A miracle that this did occur.
I'm not ashamed, I cried as I read,
Though cautiously, she did proceed.

For Paula, Patricia and Nick,
A dreadful father they did pick.
They have questions, they want to know,
Why I wasn't there as they did grow.

I can't change what I did in those days,
They are gone, but this I do pray,
I can give them my life in a book,
I'll tell it all, sinner to crook.

Misdemeanors & Felonies,
Memories, my life I decree.
A saint and sinner, warts and all,
Days on end my back to the wall.

The first draft is well on its way,
I'm saying things I need to say.
I hope they read it, it's my prayer,
In it my heart and soul I bare.

©November 18, 2007 / Jerry Pat Bolton

No comments: