Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Rooming House on St. Charles


Just thinking back over some times in my life that weren't all that great.



New Orleans
I'd been in worse
and better places
just a room to sleep
sweaty nights
and sit
in the daytime, on the bed
being quiet
not to bother anyone
that is how I was then . . .
how I wanted it
to hide my future, my
secrets
secrets which drove me there
in the first place
damn it to hell and back
Downtown Jackson Brown
Minnie the Moocher
all those cats
doing Mardi Gras
outside my window
shuttered and closed tight, my window
because . . . I felt like hell
why not
who was I to think thoughts
grandeur ones
so I sit and sweat
and horde my puny little secrets
secrets, like
I am no good
and
everybody knows it
something
made me write . . .

Sitting all alone
In a smoky, crowded bar
Life passes him by


What happened to the
. . . . . . . .
hell, I can't even remember
what
is gone
sad
ain't it sad
how did it get this way
alone
when the whole world is partying
made me also write this . . .


Carnival is here
Crowds jam the street with laughter
He plays solitaire


Last night I ventured into
society
sorta
kinda
well, I went here . . .


High above the street
A lonely window shines bright
Love facsimile is sold


Oh, yeah, I forgot
I have
secrets
to tell
if you wanna to hear
you do, huh
don't you
my, my
what good are secrets
if nobody wants to hear 'em
so I write 'em down
on paper, yeah . . .

Crumpled note on floor
Tells the story of love gone.
A time for dying

No comments: