Monday, November 26, 2007

Doing Time . . . Not Funny

The days roll along slowly when you are inside, none of them roll along fast enough, but such is the life of a convict who wants to breathe the free air. Chapter 38 dealt with some the day-to-day experiences I had while inside. Basically, the whole time I was locked up it was boring. It is difficult to write about boredom, so I picked out a couple of incidents that happened. Surviving in prison, even a medium security one like El Reno has a lot to do with attitude. You need an attitude, but if you carry that attitude too far there is always someone who will attempt to change it. There is a delicate balance of protocol inside, once you overstep or stumble, the wolves will have you for din-din. Except for the constant pressure on you to watch your back, doing time involves a lot of boredom. You are regemented as to when you sleep, awake, and eat, you find yourself waiting, waiting, waiting for your daily routine. When it is disrupted you feel misplaced and scared. I can understand why people keep coming back to prison, there is an order there which is missing in their lives. I understand, because I was paroled twice and twice I came back because of various reasons, but basically because I could not live in Taylor, Arkansas and subsciously I guess I, too, missed the regimentation. One would wonder if I liked regimentation so much why didn't I adapt to the Air Force. Good point and I think it was because I had just left home and wanted to party, party, party . . .

The divorce papers were a downer and put me in a funk for quite a while. I'm very surprised I didn't just snap from that news which was piled atop all the normal day-to-day pressures of being a convict. But I didn't, to my credit, and after awhile I accepted the legal process as something that was inevitable. But then I began to think about my daughter, Paula. I was gone when she was born so I had no idea what she looked like, and although later, after I was paroled I got to see a few photos of her mother had. I truly didn't expect Marionette to not divorce me, but things such as that tend to break the will of people who are locked away and are without anyone they can go to to talk about it and for comfort.

Short post again, but I'm saying what needs to be said without giving much away . . . Tomorrow . . .

My Novels:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: