Sunday, November 25, 2007

Prisoner

There I am. Behind those bars. Where I knew all along I would be. But where I shouldn't have been if I hadn't ran. What does that say about me and my frame of mind? I'll tell you. To some people, the reason I ran was to escape doing time. And that is what I even told myself. The truth, however, is much more apparent to you if you have been reading this blog, which I doubt anyone is. What has been my all-encompassing complaint since I began this narrative? My mother. Is my motives becoming a bit more clear now? Was I running to escape going to prison? No, because deep within my heart I knew I would get probation, after all, it was my first offense. But I was terrified of probation, that meant I would be stuck with mother overseeing each and every damn thing I did, even if I moved out of the house, she would, in effect, become my warden. Fuck that.

So, there I was, finally back in the Caddo Parish Prison awaiting my day before the judge who was not going to think kindly of me running off like I did. The few months I was incarcerated in the parish prison was a learning time for me. A learning experience that would give me insight on what to expect when I finally was shipped off to federal prison. I was, of course, not a hardened criminal, like some I was thrown into jail with, but from those hardened criminals I learned the proper prison etiquette and jargon which helped keep me out of more trouble than I needed. No one sat me down and said to me they wanted to impart their knowledge of hard knocks to me, I merely kept my mouth shut as much as I could and observed. I only had a few minor problems and one almost bad problem. the bad problem was with an old man who had spent most of his life behind prison bars in Texas and I learned more from him than anyone.

Finally the day came when I was standing before the judge. He pronounced a six-year term on me and within two weeks I was walking past the barbed-wire fence of El Reno, Oklahoma, my home for awhile.

My Novels:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: