Thursday, December 13, 2007

Heading West . . . Again

The world is always ready to accept and embrace new lovers. Nothing is impossible, no matter the age of these new lovers. When you are infatuated with another's charms everything seems to stop and allow you to have your way. You take chances because you understand, somewhere in your deepest thoughts, that whatever you choose to try will be accomplished beyond your wildest dreams.

Even people such as Dottie and I, who had been around the block a few times, even we decided that the world was, or should have been, at our beck and call. We were in love and we all know that love blinds. Dottie was in the mood to see some of the world I had been seeing through the blurred vision of booze and pills and hypodermic needles. I was more than willing to be the tour guide, another good fit.

We had fun on the drive west, stopping first in El Paso where I took her across the bridge to Juarez. Are you getting a feel of what I'm doing? Retracing all of my old haunts, again, this time dragging along Dottie who didn't know the history of these places that I had. She was stunned – if that's the word – with all the bars that were really whorehouses. We stopped in New Mexico to check out out-of-the-way places, old western graveyards and one monster house which rose out of the desert like a huge white bird. It looked so out of place setting amid cacti and the desolation of the landscape. It was solid white and built round, like an observatory, but it wasn't. We saw no sign of life there, and it has crossed my mind many times as I wondered what the hell it was and where were the people who built it.

The so-called tour I was taking Dottie on, however, as you might expect given my history, was a train wreck in the making. Phoenix was a bust and we didn't last but about three months there before moving on to Los Angeles. Hollywood, actually. The scuzzy part of Hollywood. It was also a bust and we headed back to New Orleans, our tails tucked firmly between our legs with one more slap in the face, this time it didn’t single us out individually, we both were wounded.

My Novels:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: