Saturday, December 8, 2007

Just When Things Were Going Good

Nanette and I went back to Taylor. Yes, I know, going back there when things go wrong is getting old. I try to explain it in Chapter 50. But for someone who swore he would never go back when he left for the Air Force, I have broken that promise many more times than I ever thought I would. A "real" marriage took place within a few days of our coming back. Nanette was busy getting used to the culture shock of finding herself in the Deep South and I went looking for a job. I found one in a newspaper in a town called Bunkie. I found a tacky apartment and worked for two weeks before moving Nanette down with me, and although she never said anything, I just know her stay in the Bolton house in Taylor was anything but pleasant.

But we were together again. We found a little house and moved out of the apartment as soon as we could and things were going along very well. I liked my job at the Bunkie Record, I liked the publisher, Jim Levy and I even liked the little town of Bunkie. I was beginning to like my life a lot also. This was something very new for me. Although I didn't go around with a frown on my face all the time, my life up until then had not been such a stellar one. Foolishly, I was beginning to share the picket fence mentality with Nanette. I was beginning to believe it could actually be ours if we only put our mind to it and worked hard. I was a hard worker and always have been when I was doing what I liked to do. The Linotype machine opened up so many more doors for me that would not have been there had I not learned the trade.

Sigh. Drat. Crapolla. All of my wonderful thoughts were dashed the day Jim Levy came up to me as I was sitting at the Linotype and said he needed to see me in his office. When I walked through the door of that office I was rousted, handcuffed and hustled off to the Avoyelles Parish Prison in Alexandria, a town about forty miles north of Bunkie. Parole violation! I had not thought about the possibility of going back to prison for some time. I had been happy and I shoved it all aside into the furthest corners of my mind. One thing struck me immediately as they were leading me out of the newspaper.

My mother turned me in.

My Novels:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: