Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Putting It To Bed

The title says it all. It is over. Time to lay back and relax awhile. Hah! Rotsa ruck . . . I won't be able to rest until I go back through the pages deleting here, adding there, correcting that mistake. All we have to do to make our book as readable as possible is to go on a slash and burn campaign. Cut out superfluous words, reconstruct awkward and misleading AND hard to understand sentences. It is not work for the squeamish . . . Hah! But it is work which should, and will, be done. In our rush to publish the book, especially when we self publish, which is how this will be published, we can screw up in major ways. Still, there is that tiny spark within my heart which say to hurry, hurry, hurry and got it done. There are people you want to read it; the ones you are writing it for.

I think I have caught myself in time. I am in the beginning of the second draft and I caught myself rushing through it and not paying enough attention to detail and flow of the story. This will stop today, I will go back to the chapters I have already dealt with and reread them. I am determined to make this book as self-explanatory as possible to the readers, especially of course to Patricia, Paula and Nick . . . Later, maybe Jimmy. Enough on the mechanics of writing, let me finish this blog entry with the last chapter . . .

I am so very nervous about the content of this memoir . . . There will be, and already are, some people who do not care for the fact that I am writing something which uncovers my weaknesses and my faults for the whole world to see. I cannot help that. I must do this. I HAVE to do this, whether it embarrasses some people or not. To not write this book, to the best of my ability, would be like refusing to take the next breath and we all understand how difficult that would be. The last chapter will bring the reader to here, where I am, and have been for twenty some odd years. It will be optimistic for the future and at the same time there will be sadness because of forces beyond my control which are tormenting loved ones.

I have done the best that I can . . . Now I will go back into the book and do better . . .

My Novels:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: