Monday, December 17, 2007

Settlin' Down? . . .


Except for the bad news about Paula everything was going good in Taylor, Arkansas, Dottie and I were doing okay in the little house. My mother, except for a few caustic remarks here and there pretty much left things alone. Steve and Joy and their girls Brandy and Ginger, were managing to do well also. John and Jeffery were making their way in the world, and, as everyone was busy taking care of personal things it seemed mother was coming to grips with the fact that life was passing her by. Oh, she still tried to be the woman she used to be, but by now age had caught up with her and although her heart was still in the game of meddling in people's lives, she was physically unable to keep up the charade.

By now the reader must know that things in my life could not be placid and happy for very long. Paula, after getting straight moved back to Chattanooga, and went back to school at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. About this time my job at Survey Boats played out, they were downsizing, and I was having a hard time getting work elsewhere. I'd been talking to Paula, and knowing the way I have always dealt with crises, it's a wonder I hadn't done what I did already.

We piled everything we could into the car and took off up to Chattanooga. Foolish? Perhaps. Being foolish never bothered me before and it didn't this time. I will admit it wasn't the smartest move I've ever made, but there we were, in Chattanooga, with no job and not much money. Dottie got a job first as a waitress downtown and I eventually went to work at a Waffle House, but both of us could see we had made a mistake. I was able to see Paula, but she was so involved with her studies and her life I felt like I was intruding and we decided, after six months to go back to Louisiana.

So! There we were, doing the best we could. I was on the computer every day, putting my writing out there and every so often thinking about Patricia, my other daughter. I began looking for her or her mother on the computer. Every few months I would try another search. Nothing. I though I was close a couple of times, but I wasn't. I told Dottie that I was all over the World Wide Web and if anybody was looking for me and typed my name in a search engine they would find me.

On August 15th of the year 2007 someone did just that.

My Novels:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: