Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Rebirth

Yes, indeed, a brand new baby is born. This baby's name? The rewrite or second draft of Misdemeanors & Felonies. Whatever name you want to give it, it is time to begin to put the outline (which is what the first draft amounted to) on the table and begin to tinker, slash, burn, add, completely rewrite whole scenes, if not whole chapters, in an attempt to turn what I have already written into something special. This "tinkering" will begin in the very beginning, because before Chapter 1, I will have a Forward or Prelude, whatever in order to put the rest of the book in perspective. Some writers scoff at the notion of a Forward, saying just tell the story, you do not need a Preamble to it telling the readers what to expect. Horsefeathers. I will begin with a Forward. I took many, many notes during a thirty, maybe forty-year span about my life in anticipation of writing a novel based on it. I have used some, quote a lot actually, of the notes, but there are still many II need to incorporate, and I shall.

I also know that I have left out important part of my life in a mad rush to get to the end of the book and not have it go too many pages. That was a mistake and I shall rectify that omission also. I so want this book for the people I have already mentioned that I became frenzied in my attempt to "get it done." I keep saying that I am writing this for my children, but am I really? Yes, I am really, although there is a great desire to get it written for my own sake, I can't lie about that. I have said that the book was meant to be written, and I have thought about it for many, many years, but not exactly in the form I am finally doing it. The writing of Misdemeanors & Felonies: A Memoir will, of course, be for me also. In fantasying thoughts (which I am never prone to do) I envision, as I write it I can break away from the real and interject what should have happened and make everything all right. That would be nice. It can;t be, however, what is done is done unfortunately, and unless I could locate the old Devil and offer my soul to be able to change the course of my life, nothing can be done about what has happened.

I'm not sure if I will be posting each day as I have before, but I imagine I will, whether or not I will post on Myspace page is another thing. I doubt it . . .

Here we go . . .

My Novels:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

2 comments:

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Hey Jerry,

Despite my post about prologues, I actually think they can be quite powerful when they fit the book or done well.

Not that you need my approval, but if it feels right, go with it.

Jerry Pat Bolton said...

Thank you Dayle, I'm going with it . . . Since this is not a work of fiction I feel it is the proper thing to do, the reader needs some sort of preparation . . .