Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Chapter 11


Once upon a time I was going to try to write my life story and use this as its title. I still think it is a good title, but have since decided that honesty is the best way to go in search of a title, therefore Misdemeanors & Felonies: A Memoir is the best by far. Because I certainly have committed my share of misdemeanors and felonies enough to fill a book, so here we are trying to do just that.

Chapter 11 is in the can. I am surprised that it is, because I didn't really get started on it until after three o'clock and it is now 5:17. But it is one of those chapters I had assumed the whole book would be like. What I wrote about I knew what happened and all I had to do was put it down. Like I said, I had hoped that would be the way the whole book would be, but so far it hasn't been that way at all. Oh, I knew what I wanted to write in the previous chapters, but knowing and doing proved to be a problem. I am optimistically hopeful that this will be a harbinger of things to come.

Chapter 11 is mostly background stuff about my hometown, Taylor, Arkansas. Some might argue that I should have the background already embedded into the story at an earlier time. There is some merit to that, and I imagine when I rewrite the story I will include more background in the first couple of chapters. But the background I put in
Chapter 11 is revelent to the age I was at the time.

It happens to me every time I write something. There is always a point in the writing where I say either I am on a roll and are doing well, or I should chunk what I have written out the window and start all over again. Well, that feeling has taken hold of me today. I feel good about this project like I have never felt before. I don't know how to explain it, except to say that my doubts, however slight, about getting this book done are vanquished. I know now it will be done and I know it will be done in the fashion that I want it. Honesty all around. I don't know if I will write a book that anyone can even read from cover to cover, because this is a different kind of writing. But I do know that my words will be as truthful as I know how to make them. I am not gojng to bash people, except my mother. She deserves my bashing. For many, many reasons. I have brothers and and a sister-in-law who might not like what I have to say about her, but my words will not be silenced. My mother should have never been given children to raise.

Tomorrow is another day . . .
Chapter 12 coming up . . .

NOVELS:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: