Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Chapter 6 . . .

I understand . . . Finally! . . . That Misdemeanors & Felonies is not going to be rushed. I am used to writing a chapter a day. I don't feel fulfilled if I can't get a chapter a day. I usually write short chapter, four and five pages, but still I like to complete on before I quit for the day. Also, I seem to have a pretty good knack of leaving the readers with a tease at the end of my chapters to push them to turn the page and start reading the next one. An autobiography doesn't really need a tease, although I imagine I will be trying to give them from time to time, old habits being difficult to break. Yesterday, I wrote what I thought was a good chapter, but not a finished chapter. That gave me an empty feeling inside, like I had not done my job. The fact that it may take me two to three days or longer to write a chapter is going to be another hurdle I will have to conquer as I continue through the book.

Chapter 6 introduces the reader to Charles Stuart. Charles was a next door neighbor of mine and we grew up together. In fact, for a long period of time we were what could be described at "best buddies," although he was a year older and a grade ahead of me in school. We explored life together and grew out of puberty where we learned, to our horror, there was no Santa Claus and into our teenage years where we learned, albeit fumbling, sex, which was frightening even as it was exciting. We both have Libby to thank for the latter.

I went back to Taylor quite a few years ago and met Charles. Neither of us knew the other and it seemed that both were quite willing to go our separate ways without a word of "getting together." I guess there are a lot of people like that, who don't relish rehashing old times, especially since we didn't know each other when we met to start with. Sad, in its own way, but life does that to us.

I'm rambling here, because I've said what I wanted to say, but feel I need to write more. Misdemeanors & Felonies is going to be written in its own good time and not before. I shan't (love that word) rush it. Even after the first draft I realize that going back into it and writing the second draft will be a major undertaking. I'm up for it though unless something happens along the way health-wise. If that happens it happens, but if at all possible I will finish this damn thing.


MY NOVELS:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: