Saturday, October 6, 2007

Have I Turned A Corner?

It appears I have brushed off that monster on my back, you know, the one which has had me tied up in knots almost ever since I began trying to write Misdemeanors & Felonies. I have muddled along, writing, but not putting down exactly what I wanted . . . what I needed to put down. I knew why that was, but knowing is one thing and being able to do anything about it is quite another. The monster was, although I suppose I hate my mother (after all these years) as much as I do anybody, I have been hesitant to put her crimes of the heart and soul out there for all to see. But if I am ever going to write about my life, I must include her in all her sadistic vainglory. Today, I took the first step in that direction.

But it's your mother, how can you write about her like that for the whole world to see? Au contraire, she did not carry me for nine months and give me birth. She took someone else's child and compounded my natural mother's mistake by showing the whole world that there might have been a reason why she was barren. Actually, I don't know if it was my dad who could not father children or my mother who could not conceive them. It matters not; in the grand scheme of things the mystical powers that be assumed that Georgia Orean Bolton was not mother material.

That she adopted three more boys and those boys, plus me, wound up on the wrong side of the law should tell the whole world that she was not a very good parent. I'm not cutting my father any slack here, either. Contrary to what the prevailing knowledge is, a dominate father, combined with the nurturing mother is essential to the mental and physical well being of children. And yes, you can point out cases to refute my contention, but it doesn't matter, I know I am right, and since this is not a legal or binding treatise I stand by what I said.

I have given myself April 2, 2008 to have the first draft of Misdemeanors & Felonies finished. That is the day of my birthday. Although there is a lot of ground to cover, after today I feel I can actually get it done. All my other writings, the novels, the short stories and poetry have been in preparation for the writing of this one. Actually it could come sooner than my birthday, but I'm not depending on it. After it is finished will come the rewrite and probably another rewrite. Then, I hope I can find someone to edit the damn thing that will be easy on my checking account, but I'm not depending on that either. We'll see. Again, a corner has been turned today. No longer will I have qualms about inserting parts of the manuscript that does not reflect nicely on certain people. I plan to write the truth.

Today is the monthly meeting of BRAAG (Bayou Readers and Authors Guild). I am happy with our little group. We have finally found a niche (critiquing each others word) that seems to get everyone involved. This is a much needed thing and the few who have contained with the group are very focused and welcome other peoples take on their writing, which is as it should b.

MY NOVELS:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: