Friday, September 28, 2007

Bogged Down

I am bogged down on Chapter 5. Actually I'm not bogged down, I can't even get started. Too many things floating through my brain these last couple of days which distract me. Also, I am finding myself fighting the story. It's like all of a sudden I don't want to do it. That's stupid, but I guess I should have realized this was going to happen because of the nature of what I am doing. I imagine that it will happen many times during the writing of this first draft of Misdemeanors & Felonies. I find myself trying, already, to hold back and holding back is not what I am about here. If I try to skip over certain areas now, what the hell do I expect myself to do when the telling of this story really get personal and rough? So, I will fight through this early mini-crises and carry on with the book.

I do need to quit allowing certain things to distract me, however. I seek out distractions like a speed freak looking for a hit of meth, knowing it isn't good for me, but craving the distractions nevertheless. If I am distracted, then I am not writing. If I am not writing, I will not finish this book. If I do not finish this book it will really put me in a dark hole of my own making. So! Today is the day to get Chapter 5 done.

When things like this happen I always revert back to the theory that this book was not meant to be written. Like I have said before, I have attempted to write the long-awaited story before and have actually written two complete novels, Homecoming and Three Corners. Neither of them addressed issues I wanted to to address and so I junked them. They were so alien to what I want to do with Misdemeanors & Felonies that it is like black and white. But they are done and maybe can be made into entirely different novels at some point in time.

I am one who belittles most writers when they complain that they have "writers block." I maintain that there is no such thing as writers block, merely it is a regrouping of ideas. Some people like to use that ancient, tired expression to excuse the fact that they are not writers at all, merely someone who likes to proclaim to the world that they are . . . What I am experiencing here is not writers block . . . Writers block does not exist . . . Chapter 5 coming up . . .

MY NOVELS:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: