Thursday, September 20, 2007

Opening The Locks Within

The lock and key represents me unlocking the secrets of my heart and life. Putting them out there for all to see. Scary . . .

It has been a whirlwind of emotion and work for the last few weeks after I made the pledge to write, finally, Misdemeanors & Felonies and now it is time to step back and contemplate what I have just set myself up for. I went into this project with an emotionally high, as I have done most of my life, "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead." But something happened which pulled me up short, not that I am getting cold feet in regard to writing the book, not in the least, it shall be written. But a new-found friend, Mike, has said some thing which makes sense. The gist of what he said was, "Do you even know how to write a book of memoirs?"

Huh?

Damn! I hadn't thought of that before. But now that he has brought it up . . . Hell no, I don't. I haven't even read many memoirs. In my mind I assumed I was going to write it like I do everything else . . . As fiction. How stupid was that idea? Pretty stupid, I would say. Even before Mike brought up some of his ideas and question I had already decided that writing a book of my life as fiction was a no-no. Not that my life couldn't be turned into a hell of a book of fiction, that isn't what I am about here. So here I am, getting ready to write the book as it should be, by first person, with real names and incidents.

I was also advised to read a couple of autobiographies to see how to go about writing mine. I think I'll go to the library today and ask one of the librarians I know to recommend one or two to read. I've been writing for a long time now, and in the back of my mind I feel that I have a handle of how I want Misdemeanors & Felonies to be . . . But shock upon shock, I have been wrong before. Yes, I know, it is beyond belief, but I have and so I think taking a look at one one or two autobiographies would be beneficial . . . At the least, it wouldn't hurt.

On the positive side, I have managed to actually get started. The first chapter is done, first draft and all that, but still, you must begin somewhere and I think it is the right beginning.

Whew! I seem to be spending much more damn time "talking" about the book than actually writing it. It is something different and it is going to be a special book . . . Still, although I feel pretty good these days, I realized I am only one breath away from a stroke or heart attack, or even being killed in an automobile wreck. In other words, I need to get my ass in gear . . . And I will . . . Very soon . . . Later . . .

MY NOVELS:

My Mother's Revenge . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

Write To Murder . . . http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

No comments: