Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Tree Cats

The photo has nothing to do with anything literary. These cats were birthed in this old oak tree in the apartment complex where I live. Their mother either died or just took off, leaving them to fare for themselves a while back. Well! You know how people are, everybody here has taken on the job of seeing after them. But they won't come down from the tree. Why should they? They have it made. See where the yellow cat is standing? There is an indention where we place food for them. The old oak has been rotted out from the inside and there are tunnels running all through it, a good hiding place for the kittens. The yellow one is allowing me to scratch its ears and neck, and one of the girls in the office actually had it in her hand yesterday. They are a good thing to have happened and it is great to see people concerned for their welfare . . . Gotta love it!!!

I am finding out that writing this blog/diary/journal as I begin Misdemeanors & Felonies is becoming important to me in ways I hadn't thought of before. I have attempted to write journals concerning other writings before, but could never quite get it right. I suppose the reason I am "getting it right" now is the nature of what I am writing about in the first place. Misdemeanors & Felonies is, or will be in practical terms, the same things as this blog. A vehicle to 'fess up and relate truths, however painful they might be to do. This is something I believe I have spent years on-the-job-training in order to get it done, and get it done right. All the other words I have spilt onto the pages of my novels, short stories and poetry have only been a learning experience for Misdemeanors & Felonies, where I will expose my most inner thoughts, I truly believe that.

Now it all makes sense to me, all the false starts. I could never quite grasp the reason why I was never allowed to write it before, no matter how hard I tried. There were reasons for my failure. One was the fact that I was deluding myself by using the fiction genre and Martin Rayne Kirby as its hero. It was a cop-out. I think I knew that even as I was attempting it, but my ego wouldn't allow that fact to penetrate my thought process. I understand now that fact, and another one even more important, that what happened to me on August 15, 2007 when I received the little email from my daughter. It didn't take me long to realize that I had all my duck in a row, to use a metaphor, and the writing of Misdemeanors & Felonies could finally begin with a new name. I have given my failed attempts different names in the past, names like My Story or Rayne's Road, among others. After a few days of contact with Patricia, I knew what must be done. She, as my other children, Nick and Paula/Candence have a need to know why their father wasn't around to help their mother raise them. I am attempting to tell why.

Today I will start on Chapter 4.

MY NOVELS:

Write To Murder . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/956621

Margaret and David: A Love Story . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/1072842

My Mother's Revenge . . .
http://www.lulu.com/content/1132742

No comments: