Thursday, September 13, 2007

Misdemeanors & Felonies Voice . . .


Picture is of Patricia, my beautiful daughter . . .

First person is the only way to write Misdemeanors & Felonies. Although it will be written more or less as a novel and I personally like novels in the third person, this little jewel has to be first person. "First person omnipresent," if there is even such a voice recognized. I imagine there is, because I've read too many books where the narrator is in first person and he is looking back over his life, therefore knowing everything which took place. That makes it omnipresent in my book. I imagine there will be section where I will want to go into third person to make a segment more dramatic, but the reader will realize, if I do my job correctly, that the narrator, Martin Rayne Kirby, is reminiscing about how exactly a scene went down. Anyway, since Misdemeanors & Felonies will be semi-autobiographical first person will command more respenct from the reader . . . Provided there will be any readers.

How to go about writing it. That is causing me some problems. Should I go in chronological order, beginging in my childhood and bringing the book to a ending with what is happening today in my life? No. Borning. Borning. Borning. And I want this book to be anything but borning. I envision the narrator (me in Martin Rayne Kirby's voice) retired and thinking back on the past. I envision something going on in Martin's life, and America as a whole, as a backdrop for these reminiscing thoughts. Events which may, or may not, happen, but could very well take place if our leaders are not careful. So, in essense, the reader will be treated with a LOT to digest, but if I am as good a writer as I think I am I will be able to pull this off. I am excited and ready to get to it, but I realize me going through all the notes and assembling them is a necessary evil. I am running across so much stuff I haven't though of in many years, but are vibrant to the story. Besides, dealing with the notes give me time to reflect about what I am getting ready to undertake and mull things over here, which in turn helps me make up my mind about what I want to do with Misdemeanors & Felonies.

Okay. I've mulled and thought enough . . . Tomorrow we'll do it again . . . How about that?

No comments: