Sunday, September 9, 2007

Sunday Morning . . .

There are so many images and thoughts about situations I have been in over the years which flood into my mind as I go about collecting and filing my notes on the computer. It is mind-blogging. Some are delightful, but some are not. But isn't that the way it should be? Man cannot be expected to go from birth to grave perfect in every way, how absolutely boring a life that would be. Still . . . Some of the things we've done in our past cause us to cringe when pulled up from our memories . . . Some of us make horrible mistakes and shudder with shame and pray no one finds out about them.

That, however, is what Misdemeanors & Felonies: A Memoir is all about. I think the title says it all. Although I have had this story on my mind for many, many years, now that the preliminary gathering of notes is under way I am amazed at what is coming back to me that I have kept even from myself all these years. Some of these long lost memories just scare the hell out of me and I wonder, truly wonder, if I am going to be able to incorporate these dark remembrances into the story.

Oh, but I must. That is what the writing of the story is all about. Truth. Reality as seen from a distance. So why should I bother myself caring about what people will think of me if they read the book. There are really only three people whose thoughts about Misdemeanors & Felonies: A Memoir I care about. Paula, Patricia and Nick. Even so, it is going to be difficult retelling some of my misdemeanors and felonies . . . It is important, however, that I do not skim over the dark things.This long awaited story; will it be a dud? Sometimes I have had such high expectations about something and for so long, that when it finally does happen it didn't live up to my expectations. Will that be the fate of Misdemeanors & Felonies: A Memoir? Only if I cheat on telling it and I shan't (love that word) do that.

2 comments:

Patricia Smith said...

Wow,what can I say. This is so fascinating. I think we all have those memories we just wish to forget until some distant reflection jars our memory and poof there they are. Your blog is so interesting that I had to go and join Google just so I could post this. Darn, now I have to go and rob my pig because I just have to have your books. I hope you keep this blog going because I really do want to keep reading.I am from Biloxi, that is until the big blow. So I guess you could say we were neighbors.
Happy writing
Look forward to seeing more
Patricia J Smith
author of FORE-WARNED

Jerry Pat Bolton said...

Patricia, what a lovely name, my daughter's name is Patricia. Thank you very much for checking out my blog. I intend to keep it up and running during the duration of the writing of "Misdemeanors & Felonies," and I hope you can become a regular reader. I saw your post today at AD, but haven't had a chance to check it out. Also, bless you for wannting to check out my books, I really DO appreciate that . . .