Saturday, September 8, 2007

Research & Collecting Notes . . .

Like the word man to the left, I have, for many years been collecting word notes for the book I always knew I was going to write. Actually I had finally decided to make it three books . . . The young Martin Rayne Kirby (my alter ego) . . . The years after he left home, which would include the turbulent sixties and his loves and failures . . . Then to the old man that he has, to every one's disbelief who knew him, wandered into old age. These notes are massive and are all over the place. I did, a few years ago, try to at least get them on the computer in the form of floppy disks. the last computer I bought didn't have a floppy disk and I decided not to have one put in, because the way to save information has changed. Anyway, before I changed computers I put everything I could find about Martin on hard copy and I am very happy that I did. Now I just have to wade through all of the stuff and recopy what I think I will need to write Misdemeanors and Felonies.

It is going to take some time to do all of this, but I had rather spend the time now, before I even start writing the story, because it will save me time in the long run. That is what I will be doing for the unforeseeable future.
As I compile these notes and data I will also be thinking and mulling over just how the story is going to be told. In the first person? Probably. How many pages to spend on each section. Parts of it like my early years won't take up much, I just want to put enough of Martin's early years to give the reader a sense of why he might have turned out as he did. Of course the wild and woolly sixties will probably take up most of the book, because a LOT happened then, to Martin and the country. I am trying to come to grips with how awesome a task I have set for myself, but I don't want to dwell on it long or I will chicken out on the whole deal and I can't do that. This is a story that must be told if no one ever reads it but my children.

With that in mind, let me get out of here and get to work . . .

No comments: